Because "hunters on the oligarchs", Russian Federation may block YouTube

Share

Following the court order, Roskomnadzor dutifully added the photo and video material to its list of things that must be censored and contacted YouTube and Instagram to order it to take the material off of its site or face being blocked throughout the country.

The woman, who calls herself Nastya Rybka, has written a book about her work as an escort and said on Russian television a year ago that she had been hired by a modeling agency to spend time at Deripaska's yacht.

The lawsuit in question was filed on February 9 against Anastasia Vashukevich and Alexander Kirillov, who had posted private photos of Oleg Deripaska on their social media accounts, as well as audio recordings of his conversations, thus violating his privacy. She claimed in a book she wrote that she was hired as an escort on Deripaska's boat, but her allegations weren't taken seriously until Navalny's expose last week, according to The New York Times.

Deripaska has been linked to President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, who has been indicted in us special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 USA election.

The video shows Deripaska, the wealthiest man in Russia, meeting with Sergei Prikhodo, a Russian deputy prime minister, aboard a luxury yacht off the coast of Norway.

Footage of the billionaire sailing on a yacht with deputy prime minister Sergei Prikhodko, where it is claimed bribes were exchanged, is now online.

Russian Federation government has threatened to block access to YouTube and Instagram if the sites do not remove video and photographs of a senior government official.

According to an AFP report, the Navalny investigation had received more than 4 million views on YouTube as of February 13.

Russia's governmental internet watchdog, Roskomnadzor, issued both platforms a notice, giving them three business days to remove the content. YouTube and Twitter were previously found to be in the crosshairs of the Russian government, but nothing immediately came of the threat.

The material was said to have been sourced from a woman's Instagram account, where it had been posted in 2016.

He also obtained a court order demanding the removal of 14 Instagram posts and seven YouTube clips, and Roskomnadzor based its demand for the deletion of the materials on that order. The context here is that Navalny is a member of the political opposition to the Russian government and his posts on this topic have as much to do with accusations of an improper relationship between the billionaire and the Deputy Prime Minister as it does of sordid relationships with escorts. If a decision is not reached by the end of today (14 February), Russian internet service providers (ISPs) must take action themselves.

Share