US condemns killing of aid workers in Borno state

Share

After suspected Boko Haram militants launched a brutal attack in the town of Rann in Nigeria's northeastern Borno State Thursday, killing several people including aid workers, Doctors Without Borders has pulled out of the town.

"No true religion advocates hurting the innocent".

The bodies of three of the four aid workers killed in Rann in Borno State have been deposited at a mortuary in Maiduguri. "It is odious before both God and man", the president said.

"Boko Haram's recent cowardly attacks have only renewed the determination of our government to bring the insurgency to a decisive end, in the shortest possible time,"said Nigerian President Muhammadi Buhari on Twitter".

Medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres said it had suspended its work in Rann following the attack and evacuated both national and global staff.

The Federal Government had earlier released the names and other details of the 110 girls who have yet to be accounted for, following the attack on the GGSTC, Dapchi, Yobe State, on 19 February 2018.

It also sympathised with every family whose loved ones were affected by the attack and other terrorist acts in the country.

They also said eight soldiers were killed in the attack but there was no immediate official confirmation.

The UN on Friday confirmed the killing of three aid workers and said a fourth aid worker was feared killed and another likely abducted during the attack.

In a statement posted on the website of the U.S. embassy, the United States government condoles with the families of the victims.

The aid workers had fled their base inside a camp of internally displaced persons in Rann when the attackers stormed the place, said one security source who sought anonymity.

The United Nations in the statement also expressed great concern about other civilians who may have been injured or killed in the attack.

Now in its ninth year, the crisis shows no sign of abating.

"Humanitarian workers are not a target".

Rann, where almost 80,000 people are living and supported with humanitarian assistance, has been vulnerable to attacks before. Saving lives should not cost lives.

The aid workers are not believed to have been specifically targeted but were caught up in an attack on the military.

Share