Kathua case transfer to Chandigarh: SC seeks JK's reply by April 27


Furthermore, the daughter of accused Sanji Ram has alleged conspiracy in the Kathua rape and murder case.

During the hearing, the victim's father expressed satisfaction with the probe so far, conducted by Jammu and Kashmir Police. She also said that the media has been wrongly portraying them as "pro-rapists".

The rape and murder of eight-year-old Bakerwal girl, who was raped inside a temple, has created a enormous controversy in the state. Their trial began at the District and Sessions Court in Jammu's Kathua on Monday. The court has agreed to hear the plea at 2 PM today.

An eight-year-old girl was raped and murdered in Kathua in Jammu and Kashmir.

The apex court had said that it is a settled law that a lawyer who appears for a victim or accused can not be prevented by any bar association or group of lawyers, for it is his duty to appear in support of his client.

Relatives of the victim present outside the Kathua court accused the media of ignoring extensive reportage of this heinous crime for almost three months. The entire nation is staging protest against the heinous crime.

Lawyer Deepika Singh Rajawat told the court that she had been threatened with rape and death for taking up the case. The counsel for the accused, Ankur Sharma also said that they were ready for a narco analysis test. "In this case, the state of Jammu and Kashmir is already a conflict zone", Supreme Court lawyer Dushyant told Al Jazeera.

Slamming the Delhi Police for trying to end her strike, Maliwal said private doctors on Monday examined her and the reports suggest that she can continue the hunger strike.

The father's petition had also asked the court to increase security at the juvenile home where the minor accused, one of the eight arrested, is being held. The lawyers who practise in that court and the bar association have even protested against the charge sheet being filed.

There was heavy police presence at the Kathua court complex following the protests on April 9 when members of the local Bar association did not allow the Crime Branch to submit its chargesheet. The girl was kidnapped on January 10. The girl's body was recovered on 17 January, a week after she went missing while grazing horses in the forest. The accused kept sedating the girl for days and took turns to sexually assault her.