North Korea Says to Dismantle Nuclear Site, Stop Weapons Tests

Share

"The nuclear test and the intercontinental ballistic missile test will be discontinued", the Korean Central News Agency reported Friday, delivering a clear message from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Following the North's third intercontinental ballistic missile test in November previous year, when a Hwasong-15 was sacked, Kim said his country had "finally realized the great historic cause of completing the state nuclear force".

The party decided that nuclear blasts and ICBM launches will cease as of Saturday - the North has not carried any out since November - and the atomic test site at Punggye-ri will be dismantled to "transparently guarantee" the end of testing.

This year, intelligence members revealed Kim Jong-Un could put a nuclear warhead on a missile that would reach the United States.

He also said that a US -led "maximum pressure" campaign of tough economic sanctions on North Korea would continue until the isolated nation "denuclearizes". Washington and Seoul have been seeking a complete denuclearization of North Korea.

He also says he's looking forward to his upcoming summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

After the announcement, President Trump posted on Twitter that the move was "very good news".

The North had developed its weapons in what he called a "great victory", and so "no nuclear test and intermediate-range and inter-continental ballistic rocket test-fire are necessary for the DPRK now".

Donald Trump also tweeted to confirm the decision from Pyongyang.

KCNA cited the outcome of a meeting held overnight, New Zealand Time.

January 1, 2018: Kim says in his New Year's address that he has a nuclear button on his desk, but also calls for improved relations with South Korea.

He is the most senior USA official to meet with a North Korean leader since Secretary of State Madeleine Albright met with Kim's father in Pyongyang in 2000.

The North is likely to want the U.S.to curtail joint exercises with South Korea, and to withdraw both its advanced missile defense system and nuclear equipment - including bombers and submarines - from the area, he said.

A North Korea source told CNN that Kim has finally made a decision to open up a new chapter for his nation.

Other than the threat posed to by North Korea's weapons of mass destruction, another issue overhanging the summit plans is the fate of three Americans detained there. When the leader seemed to indicate he would cease his activities if Trump would meet with him, the US president took the bait. Kim met last month with China's president and is to meet South Korea's leader April 27.

Share