Toronto attack suspect charged as investigators search for motive

Share

The 25-year-old accused of plowing a rental van into a group of pedestrians in Toronto, Canada, apparently praised a mass murderer before the alleged attack. Police said they anticipate laying a 14th count of attempted murder.

Minassian was a student at Seneca College in Toronto and was enrolled from 2011 to 2018.

He has been remanded into custody and will return to court on May 10.

Ten people were killed and at least 15 others wounded in yesterday's van attack in Toronto, multiple media outlets are reporting. I don't know what to do to try to stop this from happening again.

It was the bloodiest mass killing in Canada since December 6, 1989, when a man with semi-automatic rifle stormed into a classroom at the Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal, ordered all the men to leave, then shot 14 women before turning the gun on himself.

"Get down", the officer shouts.

The driver stopped the van on a sidewalk and engaged in a tense standoff with the police, claiming to be armed and daring officers to shoot him in the head.

Peru's attorney general has ordered the arrest of two suspects in the killing of a Canadian man who travelled to the Amazon rain forest to study hallucinogenic medicine, officials said Monday.

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders also has released the name of the purported driver detained after Monday's incident.

Anne Marie D'Amico who worked at an investment management firm in the Canadian city.

Other victims in Monday's attack included people from Jordan and South Korea, as well as a local college student.

Two South Koreans were among the dead, a Seoul foreign ministry official told AFP, with another of its citizens seriously injured.

Flags have been lowered to half-mast at City of Brampton facilities in the wake of the tragic event at Yonge Street and Finch Avenue. "But it's also clear that the standards of what can be communicated on the internet can't be set by the terms and conditions of private contracts", Krings said in an interview.

The section of Yonge Street where the pedestrians were hit remains closed today as police continue their investigation.

Police promise speculation and political agendas will play no role in the outcome of one of the largest investigations in Toronto Police history.

Earlier this year, the Toronto Police Services Board passed a motion to provide hundreds of officers stun guns instead of guns.

Speaking in council chambers Tuesday, Tory called the situation an "unfathomable loss of life" that has "left our city in mourning".

"Our hearts go out to anyone affected".

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also responded to the attack, thanking first responders "who managed this extremely hard situation with courage and professionalism". "We need every single piece of this puzzle so we can have a fulsome picture and account as to exactly what took place here".

McCormack has been in touch with the officer, who he said is overwhelmed with emotion, but eager to get back on the streets.

The social networking site took down his account after the attack.

"Hopefully this will have all of us be a little kinder to each other on regular days", he told his fellow councillors at city hall Tuesday.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who noted there's no evidence to suggest there was a "national security element" to the incident, called the attack "senseless" and "horrific".

Share