Trump Just Launched Another Illegal Attack Against Syria

Share

Foreign Minister Boris Johnson said there were now no plans for further attacks in Syria after Britain and its allies France and the U.S. launched air strikes on the regime's chemical weapons facilities.

And while last November's OPCW-UN report pinned the blame for the April 2017 chemical-weapons attack on Assad, the late investigative journalist Robert Parry pointed out that the report also contained evidence that "more than 100 victims of sarin exposure were taken to several area hospitals before the alleged Syrian warplane could have struck the town of Khan Sheikhoun".

"Russia and Syria have not yet allowed access to Douma", the British delegation said in a tweet on Sunday before adding that "unfettered access [is] essential".

"The team has not yet deployed to Douma", OPCW Director General Ahmet Uzumcu said in a statement.

Russian Federation in November used its veto three times to bury a previous UN-led inquiry which found that Syrian forces had used sarin in the attack on Khan Sheikhun in April past year. He told reporters in Moscow that the inspectors could not go to the site because they need permission from the U.N. Department for Safety and Security.

"As far as I understand, what is hampering a speedy resolution of this problem is the consequences of the illegal, unlawful military action that Great Britain and other countries conducted on Saturday", he said. "We have not denied the team any request for it to go to Douma", said United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric.

Both Russia and the Syrian government have welcomed the OPCW mission.

Former CIA director John Brennan, appearing on NBC's "Meet the Press", said he believed the Trump administration's decision to strike Syria "was exactly right".

The media activist claimed that the warplanes had taken off from the Al Shayrat or the Tiyas airbase in Homs controlled by the Syrian government.

"Last night, the United States along with our British and French allies showed the world that the United States will not sit idly by while the Syrian regime uses chemical weapons to murder and maim its own people". The US expressed concerns that Russian Federation may have tampered with evidence at the site.

The inspectors met Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad in the presence of Russian officers and a senior Syrian security official in Damascus for about three hours on Sunday.

France urged OPCW nations to boost the organisation's work so it can completely dismantle Syria's "secret" toxic weapons programme.

US ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley cautioned that chemical attacks similar to those in Syria "could happen" in the United States if more precautions aren't taken domestically.

The operation, which was led by the U.S., was undertaken in response to a devastating chemical attack in the rebel-controlled Damascus suburb of Douma, which killed dozens of people earlier this month.

Col. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi of the Russian military's General Staff says Saturday's strike hasn't caused any casualties and Syrian military facilities targeted by the U.S., Britain and France have suffered only minor damage. An unnamed USA official said Tomahawk missiles were used in the strikes.

"The American (military) knows well that going toward a wide confrontation and a big operation against the regime and the army and the allied forces in Syria could not end, and any such confrontation would inflame the entire region", Nasrallah said.

Share