Grenfell review calls for building regulations overhaul

Share

However, the report by Dame Judith Hackitt will stop short of calling for an outright ban on the flammable cladding blamed for the spread of the fire which broke out on the fourth floor of the west London tower block.

"It is good that Dame Judith's report agrees that the current system is not fit for goal and has set out a range of recommendations for its long-term reform", he continued.

Britain could ban the use of combustible materials on high-rise buildings in response to the Grenfell Tower fire that killed 71 people last June, the housing minister said on Thursday.

It led to high rises in Sunderland being looked at, and work is now underway at the towers on Dame Dorothy Street having their cladding replaced this week.

One commentator tweeted: "Appalled by the decision to not ban cladding".

According to BBC News, Dame Judith's appointment to lead the review had been met with some criticism due to her former role as director of the Energy Saving Trust.

The latest figures available from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government show that more than 65% of social housing buildings with unsafe cladding are now going through the process of remediation.

Social landlords have been working hard to replace unsafe cladding.

The government has today announced that it will fully fund the removal and replacement of unsafe cladding by councils and housing associations.

The report also falls short on recommending a complete ban on the use of desktop studies, despite recent research revealing their "utter inadequacy".

Labour welcomed the funding announcement, but said it should not have taken so long.

The chancellor, Philip Hammond, said the decision was taken partly because "we do not want vital safety work to put at risk our high-priority housebuilding programmes".

"This money will ensure local authorities and housing associations are being given the support they need to get this work done now as well as removing the uncertainty around funding".

There is now no funding for dozens more privately owned blocks which are affected and Downing Street said it expected private building owners to "take responsibility for removing and replacing and to not pass the cost on to leaseholders". The housing secretary, James Brokenshire, admitted in the Commons that the community would feel "disappointed and let down".

The Royal Institute of British Architects (Riba) last month told the Government that it was concerned the review will not deliver the key changes it says are needed to protect the public.

"It was always going to be a challenge to respond to an unprecedented tragedy on this scale", Brokenshire said.

"Since the awful tragedy at Grenfell Tower this council has acted quickly to reassure our residents and ensure they are safe in their homes and we have made it clear that we would do everything we can to make sure that nothing like Grenfell ever happens in our borough".

Share