5-year-old OR girl was paralyzed by a tick bite

Share

"She has been such a champ throughout this whole ordeal!", wrote Griffin. "It's more common in children than it is adults", she wrote last Wednesday. When she brushed Kailyn's hair, she saw it: a tick had latched on to the girl's scalp.

A MS girl is lucky to be alive this week after contracting a rare tick-borne disease that temporarily cost her the ability to walk, Yahoo News is reporting.

Unlike other tick-borne diseases, like Rocky Mountain spotted fever or Lyme disease, tick paralysis isn't caused by another organism living within the tick, but rather, by the tick itself.

Griffin followed up with a photo of her daughter walking out of the hospital later that evening.

After a female tick feeds for five to seven days, the toxin builds up in a person's system.

In early May, the CDC warned of rising populations of ticks and mosquitoes that public works and pest control services were wholly unprepared to address. Paralysis sets in slowly, starting in the legs and spreading into upper body, stopping your breathing if left unchecked.

Most previous cases of tick paralysis have been reported in children; typically girls, according to a 2012 report on the condition. The symptoms of the disease usually go away within 24 hours of removing the tick. "These ticks have to go undetected on a person's body, usually on the head", said Lindsay. Some cases in livestock have been caused by the American dog tick, found east of Saskatchewan.

If someone who has been outdoors in the spring or summer months suddenly becomes weak and appears to be getting worse, tick paralysis could be the cause. I was just thinking that her legs were asleep until I noticed that she couldn't hardly talk!

To protect yourself from tick bites, stay on the trail, wear light-coloured clothing and wear an insect repellant containing DEET or icaridin. They even washed the girl's hair when they got back to their home. If you find an attached tick, grasp it with tweezers, as close to the skin as possible and pull it straight out.

You should also check your children for any ticks, something that Griffin urges all parents to do. She included two photos in her post, which were the tick in Kailyn's head and the removed tick in a plastic bag.

Share