Barca upset by Pique involvement in Griezmann 'The Decision' documentary

Share

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique's involvement in the film during which Antoine Griezmann said he would stay at Atletico Madrid caused "surprise and unease" at the Nou Camp.

Griezmann has been heavily linked with a move away from Atletico for two straight summers, with talk of a move to Manchester United in 2017 being followed by reports of a switch to La Liga champions Barca this year.

The Madrid club confirmed Griezmann had signed a new five-year contract at the Wanda Metropolitano.

Atletico Madrid officials were sent to meet the France players in Russian Federation. He would have been in the shadow of some great players like Messi, Iniesta or even Xavi before.

The La Liga giants have also revealed that fellow France worldwide Thomas Lemar will be joining from Monaco, having officially agreed terms with the Spanish club.

However, the 22-year-old looks set to join the Europa League winners in a deal reportedly worth £62.2million, pending a medical and finalising a formal agreement with Monaco.

France coach Didier Deschamps said on Sunday his key forward Antoine Griezmann "must do more", after a disappointing performance in their opening 2-1 World Cup win against Australia.

Left-back Lucas Hernandez has also extended his contract at Atletico, with his now expiring in 2024.

Pique previously defended his actions, but he and Umtiti will have to answer to Barcelona when they return from World Cup duty with Spain and France respectively. He made the best choice for him and for his career. France's next match is against Peru on Thursday.

Share