Cohen parting ways with lawyers as widening federal probe continues

Share

A federal judge has given Cohen's legal team a June 15 deadline to review materials for attorney-client privilege.

Michael Cohen, U.S. President Donald Trump's longtime personal fixer, will soon be parting from the lawyers who are representing him in a potentially damaging and wide-ranging federal investigation into his business dealings, according to two people familiar with the case.

Cohen has maintained that he's innocent of wrongdoing, and Trump has called the raid on his lawyer an assault on attorney client privilege.

A replacement firm has not been named, ABC News said.

As to why Cohen may feel compelled to cooperate with federal prosecutors, only Michael Cohen can say-but Ken White, a defense lawyer who makes a living off battling the government, gave us one idea.

Law&Crime reached out to both Mr. Ryan and Mr. Harrison for comment, but they did not immediately respond.

A source told the network that the law firm that has been representing Cohen is not expected to work with him going forward.

The AP reports federal prosecutors in NY have publicly said they are investigating alleged fraud in Cohen's business dealings, but haven't disclosed details.

It isn't unusual for high-profile figures facing potential criminal charges to look for attorneys who have deep experience in the court where the case is expected to be tried, and a track record of negotiating with local prosecutors. "It's an attack on all we stand for", President Trump said during a meeting with senior military leadership at the White House in April.

Rudy Giuliani, another member of Trump's legal team, said last month that Cohen was no longer representing Trump.

Share