Successful World Cup 2026 bid a watershed moment for Canadian soccer

Share

Announced Wednesday morning, Canada joined forces with the United States and Mexico to form a "United Bid" for the 2026 World Cup and ended up beating out fellow finalist Morocco 134-65.

Thirty-two national teams are participating in the World Cup football championships in Russian Federation.

"Obviously the money is not the only element, obviously", he told a news conference later in the day.

Herdman isn't asking for handouts, saying he has his eye firmly on qualifying for 2022. They ended up at a refugee camp in Ghana, where Davies was born.

"The world is getting better, so we have to get better too", acknowledges Sean Fleming, who coaches the under-16 group at FC Edmonton.

The United 2026 bid is led by the U.S. and they will provide at least 10 of the 16 host cities for the tournament.

At the time, the City of Vancouver said it was "extremely disappointed" it was no longer being considered for the tournament, adding that "hosting the biggest sporting event on earth would have offered significant economic benefits". Like Canada, Japan had previously qualified for only one World Cup. These are the cities that we think will be included as hosts for the 2026 World Cup. The United States will host the remaining 60, including the final. The preliminary bid book submitted by the organizers anticipates 10 American cities at hosts.

"In eight years, it's certain that the field in place would be up to Federation Internationale de Football Association standards", said ex-Canadian national team midfielder Patrice Bernier, a former captain with the Montreal Impact, the MLS soccer team. With M&T Bank Stadium's $120 million renovation set to be completed by next fall, city officials will have two years to address issues both technical and otherwise. Chicago and Minneapolis also withdrew, citing similar worries.

Herdman pointed to the performance of national team member Alphonso Davies, 17, who spoke to delegates ahead of their vote Wednesday, as representative of the quality of the young talent on his team.

Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman headed to Moscow on Thursday to attend the opening of Russia's World Cup 2018.

Infantino called the new voting procedure a "thorough, transparent" process.

The news was met with excitement throughout the country.

Fifa's president, Gianni Infantino, looked opportunistically quick to immediately put himself forward for re-election next year, and he was followed by USA president Donald Trump with a self-congratulatory tweet.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau also took to Twitter.

"It would mean all the hard work that I put in through the years, the sweat, the tears, everything.it would mean a lot".

Share