Whale dies in Thailand after swallowing more than 80 plastic bags

Share

Devastating pictures showing the impact of discarded plastic bags on marine life have emerged, after a pilot whale died having swallowing 80.

During an autopsy veterinarians removed more than 80 plastic bags from the whale's stomach, said Jatuporn Burutpat, Director-General to Thailand's Department of Marine and Coastal Resources.

It vomited up five bags while rescuers used buoys to keep it afloat in a rescue attempt, while an umbrella was held to protect it from the blazing sun. The autopsy found at least eight kg of plastic in the whale's stomach.

A study published past year found that 83 percent of water samples from more than a dozen nations were contaminated with plastic fibers.

A pilot whale that died after ingesting rubbish has highlighted Thailand's losing battle against plastic, said conservationists who called for urgent measures to cut back on pollution that also worsens urban flooding.

The Thai government last month said it was considering a levy on disposable plastic shopping bags. It is thought that the whale had probably mistaken the bags for food and eaten them.

More than 5 trillion pieces of trash - and counting - are in the world's oceans, according to a 2014 study.

A study published previous year found that 83 percent of water samples from more than a dozen nations were contaminated with plastic fibers. 'We use a lot of plastic'.

The dead whale is likely to have been the short-finned species of pilot whale, which have been nicked named the "cheetahs of the sea" due to their high-speed pursuits of squid.

Despite spitting out five plastic bags, the whale couldn't survive and passed away on Friday.

Share