After President Trump tweeted that Ford should build the Focus Active in the United States and pay zero levies, Mark Levine, spokesperson for Ford, tweeted that the company hasn't changed its mind on not offering the crossover in America.
Ford last month said it was scrapping plans to import the Focus Active crossover from China because of the steep 25 percent tariffs Trump has imposed on China, where the vehicle is built, would make it impossible for Ford to hit its profit targets.
Ford added in its statement that it's committed to "growing its USA vehicle lineup - including introducing all-new trucks, utilities, hybrids and fully electric vehicles".
Tension has also persisted over limits on USA firms' access to Chinese markets, intellectual property protection, technology transfers and investment.
Spared until now, mobile telephones, the biggest US import from China, would be engulfed if Trump activates the $267 billion tariff list.
Trump took to Twitter Sunday to declare victory and write: "This is just the beginning".
Intel Corp said proposed tariffs would negatively affect US businesses and "stifle advancements" in telecom infrastructure, including next generation technologies like 5G. It will continue to sell the vehicle outside the states. While Ford might choose not to build the Focus in China, it does have a multiple number of plants in other countries it can choose to build the small hatchback in. It makes many of its products for the USA market in China.
For the Focus Active, the tariffs on Chinese vehicles changed everything.
Some background: The first tariffs on $34 billion worth of Chinese goods went into effect back in July.
The higher expense of USA labor would likely boost the price of Apple products by 20 percent, CNBC.com reported, citing Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
The world's two biggest economies are clashing over US allegations that China deploys predatory tactics - including outright cybertheft - to acquire technology from USA companies and challenge American technological dominance.