Nick Carter will not face rape charges

Share

Los Angeles prosecutors said on Tuesday they would not charge Backstreet Boys singer Nick Carter over a 2003 sexual assault accusation because it fell outside the California statute of limitations.

As previously reported, Carter was accused of rape by singer Melissa Schuman, a former member of girl group Dream, in November 2017.

She claimed that in 2003 Nick had pushed her in a bathroom for forced oral sex and then claims she was raped in the bedroom.

The Associated Press generally doesn't name people who say they were sexually assaulted but Schuman has come forward publicly to speak about her experience and approves of the use of her name.

Carter, 38, said at the time he was "shocked and saddened" by the allegations made in the blog, which saw his supporters use the hashtag #IStandWithNickCarter to claim the accusations against him were fake.

He said: 'Melissa never expressed to me while we were together or at any time since that anything we did was not consensual'.

Carter continued, "We went on to record a song and perform together, and I was always respectful and supportive of Melissa both personally and professionally".

In February, she filed a police report against Carter.

The DA's office said further examining evidence in the case "is not warranted" due to the expiration, according to a charge evaluation worksheet.

"Nick has denied these allegations ever since he first learned of them previous year", lawyer Michael Holtz said in the statement.

Holt added, "He is happy to put this matter behind him". It gives me great solace to know that my testimony is fully documented, investigated and sealed for the future if needed by law enforcement.

'I gave my statement, as did the other witnesses.

"This will be hard, but for the love of my fans here in Lima I'll be on the stage tonight", said the singer and actor, who also took to the stage after losing his sister, Leslie, in 2012, explaining that he finds performing deeply cathartic.

Share