Congo ministry says Ebola outbreak worst in nation’s history

Share

The latest outbreak of the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo is the worst in the country's history, the health ministry says.nearly 200 people have died since August, officials say, with more than 300 confirmed or probable cases.A vaccination programme has so far inoculated about 25,000 people.

The deadly virus has killed about 198 people since the outbreak was declared August 1 in the volatile east, the ministry said.

Over 28,000 people in the central African nation have received a vaccine to prevent Ebola.

An official of the United States Agency for International Development, USAID, has said the country is anxious about the outbreak of Ebola in conflict-hit eastern Congo.

"No other epidemic in the world has been as complex as the one we are now experiencing", said Kalenga.

"Two of our colleagues in the Rapid Response Medical Unit have even lost their lives in an attack", he said.

Another problem facing the medical teams aside from possibly contracting the disease themselves are weekly attacks that often suspend containment efforts.

Health Minister Dr Oly Ilunga Kalenga said that the figures now exceed that outbreak.

Congo has also previously suffered civil war and political upheaval from years and is going through a very tough situation because in September, vaccinations were suspected in Beni when a rebel group launched an attack that lasted several hours.

The Ebola outbreak in the place rife with rebels attacks.

The UN Stabilisation Mission in DRC, MONUSCO, said it has taken an active approach in recent weeks to quell armed group activity in the North Kivu area, and protect Beni from conflict. The border between the countries remains open, and health experts fear the virus will enter Uganda through the cross-border traffic.

Share