Israel says mission on Lebanon border ends as last Hezbollah tunnel found

Share

While they have at times traded blows within Syria - where Hezbollah has been helping Damascus beat back rebels - the Israel-Lebanon border has mostly been quiet.

The Israeli military said a sixth tunnel was found on Saturday, 55 meters (yards) deep and reaching "a few tens of meters" into Israeli territory from 800 meters within Lebanon.

"All of the tunnels have been exposed and have either already been destroyed or are going to be destroyed", military spokesman Lieutenant-Colonel Jonathan Conricus told reporters.

The news comes amid the conclusion of the Israel Defence Forces' (IDF) Operation Northern Shield, aimed at demolishing secret tunnelsdug that were by Hezbollah from Lebanon to Israel.

Coupled with the announcement that after Sunday's discovery, Israel was wrapping up its operation to destroy Hezbollah's tunnel network into Israel, the weekend strike in Syria is widely seen as Eisenkot's "parting shot" as his four-year tenure as military chief ends.

Hale also met with Joseph Aoun, the commander of the Lebanese Armed Forces, who said that their discussion was focused on "the general situation in Lebanon and the region, as well as cooperation relations between the armies of the two countries, especially the amount of military assistance provided by the U.S. to the Lebanese Army".

"According to our intelligence and our assessment of the situation there are no longer any cross-border attack tunnels from Lebanon into Israel".

"Overnight, the air force also attacked on the southern front against Hamas targets in Gaza and this morning we announced the exposure of an additional tunnel, a main tunnel, perhaps the most important, that crossed the border into our territory".

UNIFIL, the United Nations peacekeeping force in Lebanon, was informed of the latest tunnel, Conricus said.

Netanyahu also cited "the successful completion" of an Israeli search-and-dismantle mission against suspected Hezbollah attack tunnels from Lebanon that was launched in December. The military said its forces would stay deployed along the border to monitor for any other possible underground activity, and said it holds the Lebanese government responsible for everything happening within its territory. It said the Iranian-backed organization Hezbollah dug.

Israel gave no initial comment on Friday's reported strikes, but has previously acknowledged carrying out hundreds of attacks in Syria over the years against what it says are Iranian military targets and advanced arms deliveries to Hezbollah. But with that war winding down, Israeli security officials fear Hezbollah is refocusing its attention on Israel.

Share