Ethics commissioner to probe Prime Minister's Office over SNC-Lavalin scandal


Jody Wilson-Raybould, the former justice minister at the centre of claims that the Prime Minister's Office pressured her to help Quebec-based engineering firm SNC-Lavalin avoid criminal prosecution, has resigned from cabinet.

Angus and Cullen wrote to the ethics commissioner on Friday to request an investigation in the wake of a Globe and Mail report on Thursday containing allegations from unnamed sources that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's office pushed Wilson-Raybould to negotiate a deal with SNC-Lavalin that would have led to a fine instead of a criminal trial.

Since then, Trudeau has denied he did any such thing.

Wilson-Raybould will, however, be staying on as an MP in Vancouver-Granville.

Jody Wilson-Raybould made her resignation letter public on February 12, 2019.

The federal ethics commissioner is investigating the allegations. The company faces charges of bribing Libyan officials between 2001 and 2011 in exchange for contracts. "Nobody has attempted to influence me", he wrote.

On Monday, Prime Minster Justin Trudeau said he continues "to have full confidence in Jody".

This renewed calls for the House of Commons Justice Committee to conduct a study on the matter.

"We urge Mr. Trudeau's team to stop trying to discredit Ms. Wilson-Raybould and to commit to fully cooperate with the Ethic Commissioner's investigation".

SNC-Lavalin was charged with paying out $48 million in bribes to Libyan officials in the decade leading up to the NATO-led overthrow of Muammar Gaddafi's government in 2011, payments meant to influence government decision-making, though the company was also charged with defrauding Libyan companies of about $130 million.

Last month, Trudeau moved Wilson-Raybould out of the justice portfolio in a cabinet shuffle brought on by former minister Scott Brison's departure from politics, elevating David Lametti as her replacement.

Her decision follows a week of scrutiny following bombshell allegations of political interference reported by The Globe and Mail.