Bangladesh Cricket Team | Christchurch | Twitter Reactions


The Bangladesh team were planning to visit the mosque before the start of their third Test against New Zealand, which was due to begin in Christchurch at the Hagley Oval on Saturday.

Bangladesh's cricket team left New Zealand on Saturday, less than 24 hours after narrowly avoiding being involved in the worst mass shooting in the country, which now had to accept that sporting events were likely to have been changed for ever.

In announcing that cancellation, New Zealand's team said, "Our heartfelt condolences go out to the families and friends of those affected by the shocking situation in Christchurch".

Soon after the incident, senior players Tamim Iqbal and Mushfiqur Rahim took to Twitter to confirm that they are safe while expressing their horror over the incident.

Speaking to reporters at the team hotel, Mashud said: "This was a kind of accident that we would never expect nor want in any part of the world".

"Entire team got saved from active shooters!" tweeted Tamim Iqbal. Soumya Sarkar was also there, and we were all heading to the mosque for prayers.

Meanwhile, New Zealand Police has taken four people in custody; one woman, three men as suspects of shooting.

New Zealand police warned that "extremely distressing footage" existed relating to a deadly mosque shooting in Christchurch today, and urged that it not be shared.

Bangladesh cricket team performance analyst Shrinivas Chandrasekeran, on the other hand, said: "Just escaped active shooters. Heartbeats pumping badly and panic everywhere", he was quoted as saying by media reports.

2006 Tri-series in Sri Lanka: The tri-series in Sri Lanka featuring the home team, India and South Africa nearly got over before it began as a bomb blast in the heart of Colombo barely a few kilometres away from the hotel where the players from visiting teams were put up.

Witnesses told local media that several people appeared to be injured inside the building. "Auckland Cricket and New Zealand Cricket completely respect and support their decision". They had a narrow escape and remained unhurt.

They stayed in the bus for eight to 10 minutes before leaving it sensing danger, according to Mashud. The New Zealand police gave them some safety instructions on what to do in the moments of crisis, but they were already thinking about reaching home. "I think the idea of New Zealand being a safe haven is gone now". "This is and will be one of New Zealand's darkest days".

"They were just outside the mosque about to get off from the bus and go into the mosque when they heard shooting and a lot of people running out and they saw someone wounded in front of them".

After being barred from getting off the bus for several minutes, the players escaped and are now "locked down" in their dressing room, per ESPNCricinfo.