Donald Trump to issue order effectively blocking Huawei from US

Share

Chairman Liang Hua promised Huawei won't do that again and said: "We are willing to sign a no-spy agreement with the United Kingdom government".

President Donald Trump could sign an executive order effectively banning Chinese tech giant Huawei from the US's 5G network as early as this week.

Huawei's chairman told reporters via an interpreter in London on Tuesday (May 14) the Chinese company would be willing to sign a "no-spy agreement" with the United Kingdom, The Guardian reports.

Huawei has also said it is independent from the Chinese government, but some countries have blocked it from their 5G networks on national security grounds.

And while the order reportedly won't name any specific countries and companies, it's tailored towards Huawei, which the USA government deems to be a spy threat (and which Huawei has vehemently denied). In December, Huawei CFO Wanzhou Meng was arrested in Canada on suspicion of violating US sanctions concerning Iran.

This escalated a damaging trade war which only recently seemed to be nearing a conclusion.

Ren Zhengfei, the company's founder and Meng's father, has denied espionage allegations and a link to China's government.

Huawei is offering to sign no-spy agreements with governments to sell more of its telecom equipment.

It follows concerns from some countries that China could use products made by the telecoms firm for surveillance. Furthermore, concerns about Chinese law requiring Huawei to cooperate with China's intelligence agencies were simply hype.

The Rural Wireless Association, which represents carriers with fewer than 100,000 subscribers, estimated that 25 percent of its members had Huawei or ZTE equipment in their networks, it said in an FCC filing in December.

Federal Communications Commission chairman Ajit Pai said last week he is waiting for the Commerce Department to express views on how to "define the list of companies" that would be prohibited under the FCC proposal.

Share