Iran says exercising restraint despite 'unacceptable' escalation of U.S. sanctions

Share

"It's close to inconceivable that the president, the administration would consider a war with Iran", Senate Middle East panel Chairman Mitt Romney, R-Utah, told reporters on Wednesday, while also insisting that Trump "is showing strength to suggest that's not something we will accept".

On Wednesday, in reference to threats by the United States to attack Iran-backed groups in Iraq, Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi told reporters that Iraq had not observed "movements that constitute a threat to any side".

As the president sought to stop the growing confrontation, Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, called the leader of Oman, Sultan Qaboos bin Said, ...

But The New York Times reported that Trump himself was not entirely happy with the talk of war and told acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan early Thursday that he does not want to a military clash.

Trump has dismissed suggestions that any of his advisers, particularly Bolton, are pushing him into a conflict.

The US in February this year also began withdrawing from the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces treaty signed with Russian Federation, with analysts worrying its demise could fuel a new arms race.

Meanwhile, a senior British officer in the US -led military coalition fighting Islamic State in Syria said Tuesday he has not seen an increased threat to his troops by Iranian-backed forces in Iraq or Syria.

Under the accord, Tehran curbed its uranium enrichment capacity, a potential pathway to a nuclear bomb, and won sanctions relief in return.

Daniel Serwer, the director of the Conflict Management and American Foreign Policy Programs at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, also argued that Mr Trump wants to talk to Iran.

On Tuesday he discounted a New York Times report that the us has updated plans that could send up to 120,000 troops to counter Iran if it attacked American forces.

The first, which is favoured by US President Donald Trump's administration, is that Iran is up to no good.

According to Israel's Channel 13, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - usually the number one hawk on Iran - told his security chiefs to "take steps to isolate Israel from any developments and ensure Israel is not dragged into this escalation".

"The administration is doing what they should be doing", said Risch.

Mohammad Javad Zarif chastised the global community, saying that so far, it has "mainly made statements, instead of saving the deal", according to the official IRNA news agency.

China was one of the eight global buyers - India, Turkey, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Italy and Greece - that was allowed to import Iranian crude oil before the U.S. ended waivers in early May.

In the midst of these conflicting statements, the US ordered nonessential personnel to vacate its sprawling "Green Zone" embassy complex in Baghdad, just 100 miles from the Iranian border. He also said there would be no war with the US.

Speaking on the recent developments between the two countries over the last few weeks, Mr Miryousefi said: "This is just the latest escalation in the propaganda warfare the USA waged against Iran, using "fake intelligence" perhaps hoping to initiate a conflict".

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi meets Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif at Diaoyutai State Guesthouse in Beijing, China, May 17, 2019. That comment came a day after he expressed a desire for dialogue, tweeting: "I'm sure that Iran will want to talk soon". These moves have crippled Iran's economy thoroughly, causing them to get frustrated, triggering the events of this month.

Share