Man dies after drinking minibar scotch at Dominican Republic resort, family says

Share

A fourth tourist has died under mysterious circumstances after falling ill at a resort in the Dominican Republic.

Robert "Bob" Bell Wallace, 67, of Modesto, and who grew up in Redwood City, became sick nearly immediately after he had a scotch from the room minibar at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino resort in Punta Cana in April, his niece, Chloe Arnold, told Fox News on Sunday. Lawrence-Daley says she suffered a broken nose and facial fractures after a man dressed like a hotel employee attacked her, dragged her into a maintenance room and assaulted her for several hours.

The deaths came as another American woman said she was brutally beaten at a Dominican resort earlier this year; as a Colorado couple said they barely survived a violent illness there last year; and as baseball legend David Ortiz was recently ambushed and shot while at a club in the country's capital, Santo Domingo.

Edward Holmes and Cynthia Day were celebrating their engagement before they both died in their room at the Bahia Principe sister resort.

The local news report said he was on a "mountain excursion", and it isn't clear whether he was staying in a resort. "Out of respect for the privacy of her family, we have no further comment at this time". They were there to attend his stepson's wedding.

"She was 51 years of age, relatively healthy, no reason for her to go on vacation and die so suddenly", Nieves told FOX 29. The FBI is helping local authorities investigate these deaths. "My husband's story needs to be told. something's not right in the Dominican Republic". 'We don't want this to happen to anyone else'.

"We have so many questions", niece Chloe Arnold told Fox.

Dominican authorities said post-mortem examinations revealed all four tourists died of natural causes.

A Maryland man also died suddenly past year at the same Hard Rock Hotel at which Wallace was staying, according to Fox News.

The reports of the growing death toll were particularly disturbing to Brooklyn's Awilda Montes, 43, who said she began vomiting blood after drinking soda from her minibar at the Grand Bahia Principe last October - but managed to survive.

Other family members of American tourists then came forward, including Felecia Nieves, who said her sister, Yvette Monique Sport, died in June of a year ago at the Bahia Principe resort in Punta Cana.

Steven Bullock, a lawyer for Day's family, said autopsies and tests will be performed on Day and Holmes in the US.

The deaths made headlines and first put the spotlight on what now appears to be a yearlong pattern.

According to a lawsuit filed by the couple, their room smelled of chemicals.

Share