On Thursday, the prominent Dominican hip-hop artist Secreto, who was with Ortiz during the attack, said via Instagram that he ran because he thought the shooter was aiming for him.
Prosecution spokesman Erick Montilla responded to the media reports, saying he doubted any Dominican would not recognize David Ortiz and that Ferreira Cruz was making up a "story" to avoid being "lynched" in jail.
The alleged gunman is seen on surveillance video exiting the vehicle before mounting the motorcycle.
It is unclear what charges each of the suspects face, but investigators are treating the case as an attempted murder. "He always advocates for the best for the Dominican Republic". In addition to coming awfully close to being one of the greatest tragedies in sports history, Boston Red Sox infielder Eduardo Nunez says the incident was an embarrassment for Dominican ballplayers.
Authorities in the Dominican Republic have said they have a Rolfy Ferreyra in custody and that he has confessed to the shooting.
Earlier in the day, Berks County District Attorney John Adams said he believes Luis Rivas-Clase - who is being sought in the Ortiz shooting - to be the suspect wanted for a Reading, Pennsylvania, shooting in 2018.
Dominican journalist Aris Beltre says the shooting has affected the country greatly, saying Ortiz is not only "Big Papi" in the US but back home in the Dominican Republic too.
Acosta was one of several men accused of participating in the execution of at least four people in January 2013 in "El Pentagono", a drug-dealing area in the town of Las Palmas de Herrera, according to Listin Diario.
Here's a photo composite of the six detained suspects and, at bottom-center, Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, aka The Surgeon, a suspect police say is still at large.