Protests Turn Violent After U.S. Marshals Fatally Shoot Memphis Man


At that time, "multiple officers" with the United States marshals service's Gulf Coast regional fugitive taskforce came across a man who was "wanted on multiple warrants", the authorities said.

The suspect rammed into the marshals' vehicle and then displayed a weapon, Keli McAlister, a spokeswoman for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, said in a news conference early Thursday.

The officers fired, killing the man, TBI said.

No Memphis police officers were involved in the shooting.

Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said officers showed "incredible restraint", and that vandals torn down a concrete wall outside a business and broke windows at a fire station.

Police director Michael Rallings told a Thursday morning news conference that the slain suspect was being sought for felony warrants. Activists associated with the Black Lives Matter movement also have sued the police department, claiming officers illegally surveilled them. City residents staged a massive protest resulting in several officers being injured. Mounted police, a helicopter and tear gas were all required to disperse the crowd. Three people were arrested.

Memphis police said people in the crowd threw rocks and bricks, with 25 officers suffering mostly minor injuries.

Armed officers and an angry crowd faced off late Wednesday night after reports that at least one man was fatally shot by authorities in a working-class north Memphis neighborhood.

"While attempting to stop the individual, he reportedly rammed his vehicle into the officers' vehicles multiple times before exiting with a weapon", TBI said in a statement.

Officers cordoned off several blocks near the scene.

The TBI identified the dead man on Thursday as 20-year-old Brandon Webber.

McAlister did not say how many marshals fired or how many times the man was shot.

Tennessee bureau of investigation agents were "investigating the circumstances" of this shooting at the request of the Memphis-area district attorney's office.

What authorities are saying: The Tennessee Bureau of Investigations said authorities from the US Marshals Service Fugitive Task Force encountered a male wanted on multiple warrants. Family members confirmed to the Daily Memphian that 21-year-old Webber died. Memphis police were not directly involved in the shooting. As more protesters arrived, more police appeared, ultimately leading to confrontation. "I fear for him all the time".