Suspects in David Ortiz's shooting got paid $7,800, police say

Share

The gunman who shot former Boston Red Sox great David Ortiz was hired to do so, according to Dominican Republic Police Director Ney Aldrin Bautista.

The officials declined to speculate about possible motives behind the shooting, other than to rule out a robbery attempt, but they said the alleged coordinator behind the attack was among those arrested, and that the group was paid 400,000 Dominican pesos, or about $7,800 dollars, to carry it out.

Local authorities also announced that the alleged gunman - 25-year-old Rolfy Ferreyra Cruz - is now in custody as well.

Clifton Police Detective Lt. Robert Bracken told the site that he believes it's the same guy who confessed to shooting Ortiz, but couldn't confirm it unless given Ferreira-Cruz's biographical information. Almonte said, though, that the suspects in the shooting had been hired as hit men to kill Ortiz.

The Red Sox retired his number, 34, in 2017 - a year after he retired - and Boston renamed a bridge and a stretch of road outside Fenway Park in his honor.

Eddy Vladimir Féliz Garcia, accused of driving the shooter to the club on the back of a motorcycle, was the first to be arrested.

Investigators recovered the gunman's firearm buried in the home of one of the suspects in the province of Mao, police said.

The statement given to reporters lists the total number of subjects in custody as six and a suspect remains at large.

That's the amount of money a band of thugs were offered to take out the former Boston Red Sox star in the Dominican Republic, according to a report in the New York Post.

The document also revealed ineptitude, saying motorcycle driver Feliz Garcia was captured after he skidded and fell off his bike as the pair tried to flee.

Enraged fans captured Garcia and beat him bloody before handing him over to police. His wife, Tiffany Ortiz, said he was "stable, awake, and resting comfortably" on Tuesday morning in the intensive care unit, where he is "expected to remain for the next several days", Boston.com reported.

"He didn't know what they were going to do".

Doctors removed Ortiz's gallbladder and part of his colon and intestines, and he also sustained liver damage.

Beloved in his hometown, Ortiz travelled the unsafe streets of the Dominican capital with little or no security, trusting his fans to protect him, according to friends.

"We guarantee to all Dominicans and to the world that justice will be done".

Share