Woman dies from flesh-eating infection she got at the beach


Fleming, his wife and their two children had driven down from Pennsylvania to spend a week with the 77-year-old. "She fell into it, came out with a little three-quarter-inch cut; a bump on her leg", Wade recalled.

A 77-year-old woman was infected by flesh-eating bacteria and died almost two weeks after she fell and scraped her leg while walking on a Florida beach, her family said Monday. No death certificate stating an official cause of death had been issued by press time. However, her family says she was never given antibiotics.

The Ellenton woman became infected with this deadly bacteria after scraping her leg while walking along Coquina Beach on June 10. "They can be treated", said Wade.

But the next day she was discovered unconscious in her home, with doctors saying she'd contracted flesh-eating bacteria. A couple days later, Fleming went to the doctor and received a tetanus shot.

Wade and Traci Fleming returned to Florida to be with Lynn Fleming while she was on life support.

Her son gave it one more cleaning the next day, put on a a bandage from the first aid kit in his auto and had to get back on the road to Pittsburgh.

He said the beach was "the place she loved".

"Regardless, we hope people have fun at the beach but are careful if they have a cut", he said. Lauderdale and driving across Alligator Alley - the quickest way back to Bradenton considering layovers - Fleming was advised by the hospital not to visit until the morning because his mom had just gotten out of surgery. Kylei Parker, who survived after getting emergency surgery, had also swam in the Gulf of Mexico, but she was 400 miles north in Destin, Florida.

Lynn Fleming had two strokes and kidney failure.

Her devastated family are warning about the dangers of the bacteria.

"It would have saved my mother's life", he said.

Lifeguards advise beachgoers who have been stung by stingrays or jellyfish to watch out for signs of infection, he said, but after Fleming's experience, new procedures may be developed.

"Fortunately, flesh-eating bacterial infections are not common", Shaffner said.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Vibriosis bacteria reside in specific coastal waters and are present in high concentrations between May and October when water temperatures are warmer. My wife wants to retire down here. "We got the swelling down, but it just kept bleeding", he said.

The Florida Department of Health issued a statement Monday evening saying that the department has not been contacted by anyone who has contracted necrotizing fasciitis in Florida.

Necrotizing fasciitis, sometimes called flesh-eating bacteria, is a rare but serious bacterial infection that affects the tissue beneath the skin and surrounding muscles and organs. People can also contract it if they expose an open wound to sea or brackish water, as in Perez's case.

Statewide, 30 Vibrio-related deaths over the same period were reported.

Fleming had caught a fever and her leg was swollen.

After a few hours, symptoms might include swelling and redness, diarrhoea and vomiting, and dark blotches on the skin that turn into fluid-filled blisters.