But even if an electrical overload caused the fire, Santone says another major safety issue was found within the home: a lack of smoke detectors.
Two teens, ages 12 and 15, escaped through a second-story porch roof, the Erie News reported.
She said the family had two boys and two girls and had used the day care for nearly a year.
Flames were said to have been see coming out of the windows of the home and that the fire was so hot that it melted off the front of the home's vinyl siding, as well as portions of the vinyl siding on neighboring homes.
"If there were the proper amount of smoke detectors in this structure, then most, if not all, would have survived", Santone told CNN.
The Erie Regional Chamber and Growth Partnership, a non-profit, lists the address of the home as the Harris Family Daycare.
Erie Bureau of Fire Inspector Mark Polanski helps investigate a fatal fire at 1248 West 11th St.in Erie, Pa, on Sunday, Aug. 11, 2019.
Still, the day care received a full fire inspection on December 28, 2018, and was found to be in compliance.
A January 3 inspection was said to have revealed the presence of "ashes and cigarette or cigar butts" which are banned in childcare and play spaces, as well as food preparation areas, according to CBS News.
Harris was licensed to have six children at a time 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the station reported. He said the blaze appeared to have started in the living room area on the first floor.
That issue was also listed as being corrected.
The woman was flown to University of Pittsburgh Medical Center for treatment, authorities said.
Erie police detectives said the owner was in stable condition, the newspaper reported.
The mother of Jones' three children, Shevona Overton, who said she is also the mother of another child killed, told WICU that she had "lost a piece of me that can never be replaced".