GoFundMe exceeds goal to raise money for blue-green algae awareness

Share

Dogs can be exposed to the bacteria by drinking it or licking it off their fur.

A North Carolina couple lost three of their dogs in a matter of hours on Friday. "I had no idea", said Melissa Martin, whose dogs died from blue-green algae poisoning.

Melissa said there were no warning signs near the Wilmington pond and it was only after her vet told her it was algae poisoning, she realised what had happened.

According to Alberta Health Services, ingestion of blue-green algae may lead to skin irritation, rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Martin and Mintz are now seeking to spread the word about the dangers of blue-green algae. Children and dogs are the most vulnerable to the effects of cyanobacterial toxins.

But this algae doesn't just grow in those states.

Harmful algae can bloom in both fresh and marine water.

It appears that the risky algal bloom that has infested Lake Hopatcong isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and could put a bit of a damper on anybody's summer plans at the lake.

She said she didn't see any signs warning of toxic algae near the pond, which sits next to a popular walking trail.

What do toxic algae look like?

The blooms, caused by cyanobacteria, or blue-green algae, began in June in New Jersey, closing lakes and reservoirs throughout the state as well as prompting officials to issue advisories at other impacted bodies of water.

There have been no reports at this time of any pets or animals dying from the toxic algae in New Jersey. "I will not lose my dogs for nothing". Within minutes of leaving the pond, Abby began to have a seizure. Even dogs that avoid the water may be in danger.

The algae can be hard to fight because it will only be in the lakes for a week or two, sometime even just one day.

One study identified 368 cases of toxic algae poisoning associated with dogs throughout the USA over a nine-decade period, but the researchers believe this represents only "a small fraction of cases that occur throughout the U.S. each year".

How do I keep my dog safe? The dogs went swimming in a lake that had blue-green algae. And, if you know you've been in contact with the bloom, immediately wash with soap and water.

"Toxic algae, they can cause neurotoxicity". "Ultimately, the entire food web is impacted because these toxins are produced", said Schmale. The algae blooms can produce toxins that affect people, livestock and pets that swim and drink in the contaminated water. While mostly symptoms are mild, they can include tingling or numbness in the face, arms, and legs, headache, dizziness, loss of coordination and in rare cases, paralysis and respiratory failure.

Share