Walmart To Remove Video Game Displays, Not Guns, From Its Stores

Share

On Aug. 3, a separate gunman opened fire at the Walmart location in the Cielo Vista Mall in El Paso, Texas, killing 22 individuals and wounding 24 others. Retail giant Walmart is taking down any gaming displays depicting violence and disabling any video game demos or videos that include violence.

The retailer directed its employees to remove depictions of violence from its stores on Friday, including graphic video games and videos promoting hunting season.

USA Today investigated further and determined that this response is not based on some sort of belief that snippets of video game violence might trigger psychotic episodes.

Following multiple acts of unspeakable gun violence over the last week, there has been a serious effort to shift the conversation away from the actual causes and on to the old topic of violent video games.

Walmart spokeswoman LeMia Jenkins told PCMag: "We've taken this action out of respect for the incidents of the past week, and it does not reflect a long-term change in our video game assortment".

Detractors panned the move as an empty gesture aimed a deflecting criticism rather than solving a problem.

On Friday, several Democratic presidential candidates - Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey and Julián Castro, the former mayor of San Antonio - called on Walmart to stop selling guns.

"Walmart has millions of customers, and they should all feel safe while shopping", the letter reads.

After the massacre at the El Paso Walmart this weekend, McMillon said the company "will be thoughtful and deliberate in our responses".

The retailer did stop selling assault weapons in 2015, and in 2018 it upped the minimum age to buy guns and bullets to 21.

President Donald Trump and the top Republican in the House, Kevin McCarthy, each cited video games as a possible factor in the aftermath.

Nine people were also killed Sunday in a shooting in Dayton, Ohio.

Tyler Louden's tweet shows an empty games aisle where most of the video games previously on sale appear to be pulled.

The shootings this week have left many Americans on edge.

There have been 254 mass shooting in the United States this, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

Meanwhile, Walt Disney Co-owned networks ESPN and ABC have made a decision to delay this weekend's broadcast of an esports tournament of battle royale game "Apex Legends" to October following the shootings, a source familiar with the matter told Reuters.

Authorities took the man into custody after an armed, off-duty firefighter at the store detained him at gunpoint. No shots were fired and the man was arrested after surrendering.

Share