Tornado touches down in Dallas, causing damage and mass power outages


A tornado ripped through the Dallas area Sunday evening and tore apart a home owned by Stars forward Tyler Seguin.

The Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma, says that areas of Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee could see severe thunderstorms later Monday.

The pictures were originally shared by local reporter Jason Whitely, who wrote: 'Before and after images of home near Dallas North Tollway and Royal Lane in North Dallas - that was badly damaged during the tornado tonight'.

Radar confirmed the tornado struck near Dallas Love Field Airport around 9 p.m. Sunday, said National Weather Service meteorologist Jason Godwin.

According to power company Oncor, almost 112,000 customers were affected by outages. Around 60,000 of those customers were within Dallas, according to the city, which is opening a shelter by 2 a.m. Lew Morris, one of the hosts of "Reckless Rock Radio", told The Associated Press that the power went out first, followed by the "distinctive whistle" of a tornado within three minutes. The NWS said it will conduct storm surveys Monday and Tuesday to determine the intensity of the tornado. Four homes were left uninhabitable, but no injuries had been reported.

One person died in northwest Arkansas when a tree fell on a home in Rogers, about 150 miles (240 kilometers) northwest of Little Rock, according to the Benton County Department of Public Safety.

He said the building started shaking and he could hear the windows shattering along with debris banging around.

Emergency service staff have begun a search and rescue operation for residents stuck in the area, the Fort Worth Star Telegram reported after the local weather service visually confirmed a tornado in the northeast Dallas area late last night.

Dallas Independent School District has closed 20 schools today due to extensive damage from the storm, including Thomas Jefferson High School, Hillcrest High School and Franklin D. Roosevelt High School.

Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson said "significant storm damage" occurred in that part of the state.

No deaths or injuries were reported by early Monday.

One Dallas resident, Tina Devlin, told the station: "I heard all the snapping of the trees and the wind blowing, and so I climbed into this bedroom closet, and just as I got in there, the roof blew off".

Dallas Fire-Rescue crews were responding to a structural collapse in northwest Dallas, at Walnut Hill Lane and Harry Hines Boulevard.

At least 35 traffic signals were down, and there were reports of gas leaks north of Walnut Hill Lane.

"A line of severe storms containing damaging winds 60-70 miles per hour continue moving E at 50 miles per hour", NWS Fort Worth said in another tweet this morning.